Last updated: November 6, 2020
Information We Obtain
Through Knox, we may obtain information about you in various ways.
Information About Your Use of Knox
We may collect information about your use of our Knox through software on your devices and by other means. We may collect:
• Device and App Information, such as device identifiers and other unique identifiers, device software version, OS version, device models, application package name, application package version, and hash data of the application.
• Information about your usage of Knox, including how, when and how often you use your devices and Knox. Samsung’s servers will receive information when you interact with Knox, such as information about your use of Knox and your interactions with Knox.
• With your separate consent, application logs to identify and diagnose errors with Knox. We will explain more in detail on the types of data collected and used in the separate consent.
We also may collect other information about you, your devices and apps, and your use of Knox in ways that we describe to you at the time of collection or otherwise with your consent.
We may use third-party analytics services, such as Google Analytics. The information we obtain may be disclosed to or collected directly by these providers and other relevant third parties who use the information, for example, to evaluate use of Knox and to help administer Knox. To learn more about Google Analytics, please visit https://www.google.com/policies/privacy/partners/.
How We Use the Information We Obtain
We may use the information we obtain through Knox:
• register and authenticate you or your device for Knox activation and manage Knox licenses;
• provide Knox framework and its features and services;
• respond to your requests, inquiries, and instructions made through or about Knox;
• operate, evaluate and improve our business (including developing new products, enhancing and improving our products and the services; managing our communications; analyzing our products, customer base and services; conducting market research; performing data analytics; and performing accounting, auditing and other internal functions);
• analyze our products and services to help us better understand our customers in order to offer the most relevant communications, services and experiences to you;
• provide software updates, maintenance services, and support for Knox;
• protect the rights, property, or safety of Samsung Electronics, or any of our affiliates, business partners, or customers.
We may share your personal information with our subsidiaries and affiliates and with service providers who perform services for us, such as cloud platform providers who maintain data on our behalf. We do not authorize our service providers to use or disclose the information except as necessary to perform services on our behalf or to comply with legal requirements. In addition, we may share your personal information with our business partners who operate apps and services that connect with Knox.
We may share personal information we collect through Knox if you ask us to do so or otherwise with your consent. We also may disclose information about you in other circumstances, including (1) if we are required to do so by law or legal process, or to establish, exercise, or defend our legal rights, (2) when we believe disclosure is necessary or appropriate to prevent physical harm or financial loss, or in connection with an investigation of suspected or actual fraudulent or illegal activity, (3) in the event we may or do sell or transfer all or a portion of our business or assets (including in the event of a merger, acquisition, joint venture, reorganization, divestiture, dissolution or liquidation); or (4) otherwise with your consent or at your request.
Children's Personal Information
CALIFORNIA CONSUMER PRIVACY STATEMENT - SUPPLEMENT
Effective: November 1, 2020
This Statement uses certain terms that have the meaning given to them in the California Consumer Privacy Act of 2018 and its implementing regulations (the “CCPA”).
Notice of Collection and Use of Personal Information
We may collect the following categories of personal information about you:
• Identifiers: identifiers such as device identifiers and other unique identifiers (such as online identifiers)
• Online Activity: Internet and other electronic network activity information, including, but not limited to, information regarding your interaction with applications
• performing services, including maintaining or servicing accounts, providing customer service, processing or fulfilling orders and transactions, verifying customer information, providing analytics services, or providing similar services;
• detecting security incidents, protecting against malicious, deceptive, fraudulent, or illegal activity, and prosecuting those responsible for that activity;
• debugging to identify and repair errors that impair existing intended functionality;
• undertaking internal research for technological development and demonstration; and
• undertaking activities to verify or maintain the quality or safety of a service or device that is owned, manufactured, manufactured for, or controlled by us, and to improve, upgrade, or enhance the service or device that is owned, manufactured, manufactured for, or controlled by us.
Our Prior Collection, Use and Disclosure of Personal Information
We may have collected and used your personal information, as described above, during the 12-month period prior to the effective date of this Statement. For the personal information collected during that timeframe, we describe below: (a) the categories of sources from which we may have obtained the personal information, (b) the categories of third parties with whom we may have shared the information, (c) the categories of personal information we may have sold, and (d) the categories of personal information we may have disclosed for a business purpose.
Sources of Personal Information
We may have obtained personal information about you from various sources, including:
• from you or your devices, for example, through your use of the services;
• our affiliates and subsidiaries;
Sharing of Personal Information
We may have shared your personal information with certain categories of third parties, including:
• our affiliates and subsidiaries;
• vendors who provide services on our behalf;
• our business partners;
• data analytics providers; and
• government entities.
Sale of Personal Information
We do not sell personal information.
Disclosure of Personal Information for a Business Purpose
We may have disclosed to third parties the following categories of personal information for a business purpose:
• Online Activity
California Consumer Privacy Rights
You have certain choices regarding our use and disclosure of your personal information, as described below.
Access: You may have the right to request, twice in a 12-month period, that we disclose to you the personal information we have collected, used, disclosed and sold about you during the past 12 months.
Deletion: You have the right to request that we delete certain personal information we have collected from you.
Opt-Out of Sale: California law provides consumers with the right to opt-out of the sale of personal information. We do not sell consumers’ personal information.
Shine the Light Request: You also may have the right to request that we provide you with (1) a list of certain categories of personal information we have disclosed to third parties for their direct marketing purposes during the immediately preceding calendar year and (2) the identity of those third parties.
How to Submit a Request: To submit an access or deletion request to Samsung Account, click here https://www.samsung.com/us/privacy/ccpa/ or call us at 1-800-SAMSUNG (1-800-726-7864). To submit a Shine the Light request, email us at NAPrivacy@sea.samsung.com. To opt-out of the sale of your personal information, click here https://www.samsung.com/us/privacy/ccpa/ or call us at 1-800-SAMSUNG (1-800-726-7864).
Verifying Requests: To help protect your privacy and maintain security, we will take steps to verify your identity before granting you access to your personal information or complying with your request. If you have a Samsung.com account, we will verify your identity by requiring you to sign in to your account. If you do not have a Samsung.com account, or an email address on file with us, then there is no reasonable method by which we can verify your identity to the level of certainty required by the CCPA. This is because historically Samsung has not linked device identifiers or advertising IDs to named actual persons. Accordingly, if you do not have an account with us, or an email address on file, and you request access to or deletion of your personal information, we will not be able to process your request at this time.
Additional Information: If you choose to exercise any of your rights under the CCPA, you have the right to not receive discriminatory treatment by us. To the extent permitted by applicable law, we may charge a reasonable fee to comply with your request.